Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Basil and Peppers


I got home on Saturday night, after we ate at our favorite restaurant in Nashville. We've really been dry here until last night. Finally "Faye" decided to bring some rain our way! Thanks to my Mom, Dad and Greg my plants on the deck did stay watered. The produce in the EarthBoxes has abounded. When I left I had 6 basil plants in one box that were no more than 4" tall. Now after the rain they are falling over! I plan to harvest soon. I learned a easy convenient way to store it from my many years of attending cooking school.

Take the clean dry basil leaves and put in a food processor. Add just enough olive oil to moisten. Pulse until finely chopped. I put about 2 T. in a snack bag and seal. Then I store my many snack bags in a quart bag and label. The basil will remain that bright green color in the freezer and you can just add a bag or two to sauces, pasta salad or even salad dressings. You can use it to make pesto later on also!


I also decided to grow jalapeno peppers this year. They have gotten so tall even after staking that they have also fallen over. Many have turned red also. I will be pickling peppers and doing basil very soon!

1 comment:

allison said...

well...at least you came home to TWO plants that were still alive!

:)